Alternative Package Sets
Even though nixpkgs is currently the standard package set for nix and NixOS it is possible with medium effort to replace and rewrite the functionality. These Nixpkgs alternatives may build upon certain aspects of nixpkgs but most of the time serve a distinct purpose. This is a list of Nixpkgs alternatives.
- Triton - differences between Nixpkgs and Triton
- Nixcrpkgs Focused on cross-compiling
- NixWRT Build Router images with nix, based on nixpkgs
Since NixOS-17.03 Nixpkgs provides the overlay feature which can be used to extend the Nixpkgs package set.
This is an non-exhaustive list of overlays:
- Rust-nightly overlay - details in Nixpkgs manual
- Overlay for Radeon Open-Compute packages
- Overlay by Rok Garbas for a set of python packages built by pypi2nix
NixOS Module Enhancements
Some external modules provide extra functionality to the nixpkgs module system. You can include these modules after extracting them onto the system by using
imports = [ `path to module`] or add them to your
NIX_PATH=$NIX_PATH:musnix=/path/to/musnix and import them by including
imports = [ <musnix> ] in your </code>configuration.nix<code..