Talk: NixOS friendly hosters
Classification of Hosters
Currently, the classification of hosters does not seem to be consistent. To pick one example, the entry for Vultr says:
Vultr has a 19.09 NixOS ISO in its public ISO library and also allows the upload of custom ISOs. If that is the only kind of support they offer, I certainly would not describe that as “1st class”. You cannot immediately log in to a new machine via SSH. You still have to install NixOS and configure basic stuff like network and SSH yourself. This is basically the same story as for Hetzner Cloud. Yet Vultr is classified as
1st class NixOS support, while Hetzner Cloud is classified as
Support NixOS via custom ISO.
Compare this to vpsFree.cz. I haven't tried it myself, but according to their documentation, they have a VM image or template for NixOS, and they deploy your SSH key automatically. This way you you should be able to spin up a VM with NixOS and log in with SSH right away.
If no one has any objections, I will revise this page in the coming days. I propose a new tier system:
- Tier 1
- Ready-made VM image, automatic deployment of network configuration and SSH keys.
- Tier 2
- Does not fulfill conditions for tier 1, but a current, stable ISO image is available.
- Tier 3
- Does not fulfill conditions for tier 1 or tier 2, but allows upload of custom ISOs by the user.
- Tier 4
- Does not fulfill conditions for tiers 1, 2, or 3, but customer support will upload ISOs if requested.
- There is reportedly some NixOS support, but the specific nature of that support is unclear.
The last category is needed, because I don't want to remove any of the hosters already listed. But it’s not in all cases apparent in what way the hoster in question supports NixOS.