This article is an overview of resources available both within the NixOS community Wiki and elsewhere. For communication channels, support and information of contributing, see the community menu.
The NixOS Wiki's core articles are divided into five categories. Each category link will list all pages in that category:
- Pedias, for encyclopedic description
- Guides, for broad hands-on understanding and connections to other learning resources
- Tutorials, intended to teach a particular process or project
- Cookbooks, collections of tips and tricks
- Reference, full manuals and technical coverage
|Pedia||NixOS||Nix||Nix Expression Language||Nixpkgs||NixOps||Hydra|
|Cookbook||NixOS Cheatsheet||Nix Cookbook||Nix Language: Tips & Tricks|
|Guide||Nix Language: Learning resources|
|Reference||NixOS Manual||Nix Manual|| Nix Manual:
Writing Nix Expressions
|Nixpkgs Manual||Nixops Manual||Hydra Manual|
Also, see Applications for an overview of tools in the extended ecosystem.
- nix.dev - A Github-managed, community-built Nix developer's reference; organized by Domen Kožar
- awesome-nix - community-curated list of Nix learning resources and tools
- NixOS Packages Search - full-text search through all packages of NixOS
- NixOS Option Search - full-text search through all options of NixOS
- NixOS Code Search - full-text search through NixOS related packages
- A tour of nix - interactive Nix tutorial
- Nix Channel Status - when nixpkgs/nixos channels were updated last
- Nix Review Tools Reports - reports showing problematic dependencies for major Hydra jobsets
- Wil T Nix Guides - A video series in 8 parts, covering the Nix ecosystem from foundations, providing orientation with all available resources, and showing hands on how to get NixOS installed and running (including managing all your configuration through git and using Flakes).
- Nix Friday - a series of 24 video streams of 1-2 hours on learning Nix and meeting community members
- How to learn Nix - A set of over 40 posts from 2021, looking at — as the author describes — not just what Nix does, but what it does. It is their notes from reading the manual, doing experiments, and trying to deeply understand Nix.
- Tutorial Introduction to Nix - An introduction focused on the use of shell environments, for Python and with links to R versions as well
- Interactive Tour of Nix - An interactive tutorial of the Nix Expression Language by Joachim Schiele and Paul Seitz
- Nix shell workshop
- Scrive workshop - Nix language and packaging workshop