This article is an overview of resources available both within the NixOS community Wiki and elsewhere. For communication channels, support and information of contributing, see the community menu.
The NixOS Wiki's core articles are divided into five categories. Each category link will list all pages in that category:
- Pedias, for encyclopedic description
- Guides, for broad hands-on understanding and connections to other learning resources
- Tutorials, intended to teach a particular process or project
- Cookbooks, collections of tips and tricks
- Reference, full manuals and technical coverage
|Pedia||NixOS||Nix||Nix Expression Language||Nixpkgs||NixOps||Hydra|
|Reference||NixOS Manual||Nix Manual|| Nix Manual:
Writing Nix Expressions
|Nixpkgs Manual||Nixops Manual||Hydra Manual|
Also, see Applications for an overview of tools in the extended ecosystem.
- awesome-nix - Curated list of the best resources in the Nix community
- Nix Pills - Originally, a series of blog posts about Nix/Nixpkgs internals from ~2015. Major revisions since, and now maintained as an official resource. Aims to be a less formal introduction to using Nix and building packages than the manuals.
- nix.dev - A Github-managed, community-built Nix developer's reference; organized by Domen Kožar
- planet.nixos.org - Aggregator for blogs related to nix/nixOS
- NixOS Weekly - A semi-regular Nix email newsletter. Averages about once every three weeks, actually.
- NixOS Discourse
- NixOS Packages Search - full-text search through all packages of NixOS
- NixOS Option Search - full-text search through all options of NixOS
- NixOS Code Search - full-text search through NixOS related packages
- A tour of nix - interactive Nix tutorial
- Nix Channel Status - when nixpkgs/nixos channels were updated last
- Wil T Nix Guides - A video series in 8 parts, covering the Nix ecosystem from foundations, providing orientation with all available resources, and showing hands on how to get NixOS installed and running (including managing all your configuration through git and using Flakes).
- How to learn Nix - A set of over 40 posts from 2021, looking at — as the author describes — not just what Nix does, but what it does. It is their notes from reading the manual, doing experiments, and trying to deeply understand Nix.
- Tutorial Introduction to Nix - An introduction focused on the use of shell environments, for Python and with links to R versions as well
- Interactive Tour of Nix - An interactive tutorial of the Nix Expression Language by Joachim Schiele and Paul Seitz
- Nix shell workshop
- Scrive workshop - Nix language and packaging workshop